Sitting down to read that new supernatural novel and looking for the right ambience? Writing a paranormal story and need some inspiration? Searching for songs that will give you chills, goosebumps and shivers? I have chosen 10 songs I feel evoke a spooky, atmospheric vibe suited to the above tasks. If you find something you like, let me know. Likewise if you think I’m missing some major tunes, please send suggestions my way.
1. “#1 Crush” by Garbage. I first heard this on the soundtrack to Romeo & Juliet, then grew to love it even more when it became the theme song for the British supernatural series Hex.
2. “Sweet Dreams” by Marilyn Manson. Scary and foreboding, Manson rocks this version. You may remember it from the horror film House on Haunted Hill.
3. “Dracula – The Beginning” by Wojciech Kilar. From the soundtrack to Francis Ford Coppola’s 1992’s Bram Stoker’s Dracula, this song screams Transylvania. Heard it most recently on American Horror Story. It gets louder and more disturbing as it goes on. It gets going around the 1.30 mark.
4. The theme song from The Secret Circle. On the show, this is approximately 8 seconds of pure eeriness but some kind soul has uploaded the full version to youtube. I think at full length it’s not as chilling. What do you think?
5. For something different: “Sgt MacKenzie” from We Were Soldiers. Poignant & moving. This gives me chills every time.
6. “Sleeping sun” by Nightwish. This band is amazing. Vampires come to mind when I listen to this song.
7. “Bring me to Life” by Evanescence. Lots of their songs have a spooky thread running through them. I love the ghostly vibe to this. (Side note: This song reminds me of the summer I first started working at a local pub South County in Cork.)
8. “Cry Little Sister” from The Lost Boys. Another vampire tune from one of my favourite 80s movies.
9. “Eyes on Fire” by Blue Foundation. Twilight fans will recognise this edgy, kick-ass song straight away. I happened to be playing this in the car with my Dad one day when he suddenly asked: “Is that a Buffy song?” after hearing the lyrics “flay you alive, one more word and you won’t survive.” I told him he was close enough 🙂
10. “Where the Wild Roses Grow” by Nick Cave, featuring Kylie Minogue. Beautiful and disturbing.
Hope you found something you liked here. Hopefully I’ll get around to posting a Part 2 at some stage.