Irish Halloween Traditions

Today, I’m doing a guest post over at Felicia’s place The Peasants Revolt. Did you know that most of us kids born in the 80s in Ireland would dress up every Halloween in a black, plastic, bin bag? No joke. To find out more, click HERE.

**************

Advertisements

About Emma

Buffy fan, avid reader, writer.
This entry was posted in Various and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Irish Halloween Traditions

1. Kitt Crescendo says:

Heading over to learn more. Thanks, Emma!

2. fuonlyknew says:

Gotta go see what you’re talking about:)

3. That was interesting. Mom’s didn’t go nuts sewing costumes? (they never wanted to sew what you wanted to be!) Actually the plastic bags is smart – easy, no fuss, and no having to save it so the younger kid can wear it next year!
    Nice read

• Emma says:

I suppose some did, but mind didn’t šŸ™‚
      Thanks.

• I always had ugly old ones from my brother, who got it from a cousin who got it from neighbors who got it from….
        Finally checked out library books about costumes and glue together something….until 5th grade when it was announced we were too old to trick or treat and had to hand out candy instead.

• Emma says:

I have 3 sisters. There were lots of hand-me-downs šŸ™‚
        That was very proactive of you going to the library to look up ideas. 5th grade seems very young not to allowed to go trick-or-treating. 5th grade, would that be 10 or 11 or so?

• 5th grade is about 10-11 yrs. That was also the end of toys and birthday parties as mom decided we were grown. She worked and was pretty busy.
        We always decorate and had haunted houses and Halloween parties for our kid when she was home…hmmm, time to think about baking cookies and making a Halloween package to send. Party on!

• Emma says:

Your Halloween sounds like lots of fun.

• Never too old for Halloween!

4. Hmm that’s some interesting stuff šŸ˜€

5. Debra Kristi says:

That was fun, Emma! Bobbing for apples. I remember they had that set up at my school festival when was just a kid. I never understood who would want to stick their face in a bin of water in the first place. LOL. Yeah, I’ve come a long way. Stll not my favorite thing. Hehe.